Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Mom's a homeschool task-master

Joshua still has the high fevers. But they are easily controled with Tylenol and Motrin. He rested on the couch and did some of his schoolwork between naps. He worked on a reading lesson and a few math and phonics worksheets, and then after about 45 minutes of school, I told him he could take the rest of the day off. It usually takes us about 2 hours to homeschool each day. It was a really weird day today - none of the kids slept at the same time. Joshua dozed on the couch while I played with Megan and Daniel. Then Megan took a nap at naptime for about an hour. As soon as she woke up, I finally heard Daniel stop tossing around in his room, so then he went to sleep. Now it's nearly 9pm and Joshua is snoring, Megan is sleeping softly and Daniel is talking up a storm in his room. Usually if we have a busy day and we don't take time to wind down before bed, Daniel stays away talking about his day.

I'm getting ready to cuddle under my quilt with a good book. I woke up a couple hours before the kids this morning, so I am all caught up with my reading for school, so I'm off to read something non-school oriented. Notice that I put my reading list over on the sidebar. Between the local library and paperbackswap.com I very rarely purchase new books. I'm pretty open for reading just about anything recommended to me. I'm more of a non-fiction reader than a fiction reader, so I guess it's safe to say that I'm pretty boring. I'm always looking for something new to read, so feel free to suggest a book and I'll add it to my list.

3 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

Mary--believe it or not, I heard the book Wicked is quite filthy--I never read it because of that. Anyone else have a review??

As for books--since you are a big reader you have probably read these, but they are EASY reading (go fast!!) and I have loved each one for a different reason.

The Ultimate Gift
The Ultimate Life
Tuesdays With Morrie
The 5 people you meet in heaven
The screwtape letters

Am curious if you have read any and what you thought....

Mary said...

I did hear that the book Wicked has some language issues with it. I figure I'll give it a try and if I can't stomach it, I'll quit!

I felt the same way about Jenny McCarthy's book: More Than Words. I was so upset that she had this fabulous message to send but it clouded over with her chronic use of the F word and a few other choice words.

I loved Tuesdays With Morrie and The Five People You Meet in Heaven, they were both very moving books. What I enjoyed about them was that they were light reading, but once I finished reading them, I continued to think about them for some time. I like books that make me think, it's a good break from Dr. Seuss.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Mrs. Darling said...

Oh you are mean! Lol

I read a lot of nonfiction too.I love autobiographys!