Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Can it be any more gloomy?

Winter in Kodiak is not for the weak. It's wet, grey and overall gloomy. We do have some fantastic days, but those are few and far between. When the pretty snow is gone and all that is left is the dirty stuff that has been scraped down the road by the grater, and the brown grass is a landmine of mud patches and ice patches it starts to look a little on the gloomy side outside.
Fortunately, we find indoor things to do and surround ourselves by good friends and just try not to look out the window!
It's so bitter-sweet that we are looking forward to sunshine, bike riding on actual pavement and wearing cute shoes without worrying about mud puddles, but yet we are leaving behind some great friends. This weekend at church, the kids and I made plans to meet up with a few friends later in the week at another great free activity in town.
It seems as though most of our plans are hinged on the timing of closing on the house. So it's hard to actually plan for anything surrounding the move, when we don't know when it's going to happen. I can't actually set up appointments for the packers, ship my mini-van, buy plane tickets, etc, etc, because I don't know when we are leaving Kodiak. So, in the meantime, the kids and I are going to whoop it up and re-visit with our close friends, because once we have a set date for closing on the house, it's going to be a whirlwind of activity and there may not be much time for fun. Heck, who am I kidding? There's always time for fun!

1 comment:

SoggyToad said...

I second the gloominess & the bittersweet of saying goodbye gloom & doom... hello sun! All the "looking forward to" is making it painstakingly slow to arrive at departure.... yet, we're leaving a home behind, and that my friend is harder than I thought it would be. I'm thankful for the Lord's timing.... creating the memories of the "last" visits is really warming my heart... I'm sure you can relate.