Monday, February 4, 2008

From the archives - Flat Stanley's visit

In September of 2006, our little family was honored to have a wonderful little house guest, Flat Stanley.
Joshua, Megan and I took Stanley downtown and showed him the Welcome to Kodiak sign. We also toured him around town and showed him many of the Kodiak sites.
Megan was protecting Stanley from the wind, while we checked out this eagle.

Joshua and Stanley rehearsed the Pledge of Allegiance while posing in front of the American and the Alaskan Flags.


Because Stanley was a little apprehensive of the wildlife, we took him to a safe area to see a deer and a bear. The Northern Lights Recreation Facility, better known as the base gym, had a lot of interesting things to look at. Stanly wasn't a big swimmer, so he stayed in the locker room while the kids and I took a dip in the pool.



On the way out of the gym, there was a C-130 getting ready to take off. So we stopped for a bit and showed Stanley. Keith was on that plane.





Down by the harbor, both Joshua and Stanley forgot their sunglasses, so we only stayed for a short bit.




Further down the spit where the bigger vessels dock. We were hoping to see some sea lions, but none were out.






Slightly out of order, here's another one from in front of the gym. The kids love this big totem pole. Stanley is hard to see in this one.
That was our fun visit from Flat Stanley. He was a pleasure to have around. He never complained and he went to bed on time every night. I'm pretty sure my niece got a good grade on her Flat Stanley school project, thanks to her super-cool aunt in Alaska.







5 comments:

The Little Wife said...

I love it. What a cool experience for Flat Stanley ;). I imagine your niece got a kick out of all that too.

Mrs. Darling said...

I hear so much about flat stanley I guess I should figure it all out!

Lisa said...

I'm glad he behaved himself, I'm a bit jealous it looks lovely round Kodiak, my girls would love it! Lisa

Anonymous said...

That was one of my favorite books growing up!

SoggyToad said...

I love your new Archives trend. I might just have to copy you :) Such a great way to share the older pictures & show how much the munchkins have changed. Who, by the way, have grown like crazy since then.