Sunday, February 10, 2008

Blizzard

Yesterday during our girls' day out, someone had mentioned to me that we were going to get a few inches of snow overnight and maybe some high winds. So, I dutifully went to the over-priced grocery store and picked up a few things. This morning I woke up to much more than a few inches of snow. In some areas there was no additional snow and in others, the drifts were higher than my waist. The snow and winds continued on all day. The snow finally slowed down a little while ago, but the wind is still whipping around out there. The path that is cleared is an area that I shoveled a few days ago. It has no new snow on it. Yet, up against Andrew's house, the drift is up to my waist. Today we had a friend stop by and he called us on his cell to say he was coming in the garage way instead of the front door. As you can see, we gave up shoveling the front doorway and will take care of it tomorrow when the wind stops blowing more snow up against the door.
In parts of our yard, the snow is right up to the top of the fence. In other parts of our yard, you can still see the grass poking through!


After I got the little kids down for naps, Joshua and I went outside to play in the snow. Granted the wind was still howling and the snow was still blowing around sideways, but it was a really fun time. One of our fantastic neighbors plowed all the driveways and parts of the cul-de-sac, so there is a huge snow berm at the end of the cul-de-sac, Joshua and I took turns sledding down it. I have no pictures of that because I was trying to protect the camera from the side-ways blowing snow, but it was probably a sight for the neighbors to watch.


I kept hearing a sound like a helocopter. What was unusual was that it sounded very close. I've seen these guys fly pretty low and pretty close to the houses in our area before, but this time it sounded like the helo was going to land in our yard. Joshua and I looked all over to figure out where the sound was coming from because the echo was really loud. After climbing up on another huge snow berm in the Dorval's yard, Joshua spotted the helo behind the Koehler's house. So I grabbed the camera and snapped a few pictures.





They certainly are not the best pictures I've ever taken. It's hard to balance on a snow berm in the blowing wind taking pictures, but protecting the camera from the elements at the same time. The Saltonstalls posted some video footage of the rescue that was going on at Mill Bay Beach which is behind our neighborhood.








3 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

Oh my gosh! That is one intense storm! We are having a bad storm today--but it is mainly WIND and a small amount of snow. Nothing like yours!!!

Lisa said...

Looks like you had an interesting day, we were in t-shirts in our garden today, doesn't look like my girls will be making snow angels this year! Lisa (UK)

Mrs. Darling said...

Oh my word. What an awful bunch of snow! We cant hardly get a snowflake around here.