Saturday, August 9, 2008

If you happen to be up at 2am...

Megan has had nose-bleeds for months now. They come and go without any trigger. Sometimes at night, sometimes during the day, sometimes we'll have weeks between episodes and sometimes we'll have 3 or 4 in one day. She's not picking her nose, putting anything up there, living in a dry area (infact, quite the opposite), etc, etc. It's just something we've both come to calmly live with. I was the same way growing up. My older sister and I shared a room together and let's just say that she doesn't really like the site of blood. (Which is why I posted the picture that doesn't show any blood.)

I've been keeping a log of the episodes (because I have control-freak issues and can't seem to accept that there is no reason for this happening), and we follow up with the doctor next week. In the meantime, hydrogen peroxide continues to be my best friend as I launder little pink and purple pajamas in the middle of the night. Megan sleeps with a towel under her pillow and she tells me she can feel when her nose is going to bleed, so she pulls out her towel to cover her nose and heads down to my room so I can help her pinch her nose in the right spot.

This week while relaxing in the pool, she looked up at me with big wide eyes and said, "get a towel, it's coming". I felt so bad for her, but she handles herself in such a big-girl way about this. Unfortunately, it's like having a newborn in the house again. I've found that I am an exceptionally light sleeper now waiting to hear her moving around in her room.

1 comment:

Zoya, Patrick, Nora and Stuart said...

Hi Mary,
I"m up at 2AM your time....10 PM our time! My heart feels for little Megan. I hope the nosebleeds resolve soon for her. I"ll be sending good vibes her way!

:) Zoya