Sunday, January 13, 2008

Kid Day Out at the gym

After a great workout this morning, I came home and Megan asked where I was. I told her I was at spinning, and that I was going to take a shower because I was all sweaty. At which point Megan began to spin herself around in circles. After twirling around about 5 times, she looked at me with her head cocked to the side and said, "you're sweaty from doing this?". She's so silly.

I took Joshua with me out to the base gym today because I needed to pick up some of the children's exercise equipment that had been left behind. I did not know that it was Kid Day Out at the gym. Just as we got there they were setting up the big jumpy-houses, putt-putt golf, and a batting cage. Joshua had a blast. He enjoyed the batting cage. I was very nervous to let him in there, as the balls were shooting out of the pitcher pretty fast. He was grinning and having a blast (I wish I had brought the camera!). They had a little fishing game set up where Joshua held onto a fishing pole and fished over the edge of a table. Someone behind the table clips a prize to the fishing pole. Joshua won a pair of really cute Incredibles pajamas. Unfortunately, the jammies were for a size 4, so Josh was sad that they were not going to fit him. However, on the way home he decided to give them to Daniel. Daniel loves them, and looks very grown-up in them. I'm happy about them because they don't have that yucky flame-retardant stiff feel to them.

I couple of weeks ago I ran into a friend of mine at the library. We were talking about the toddler lunch time rut. There are only so many different ways to make sandwiches, fruit and yogurt look exciting. My friend, Jen, mentioned that she serves her daughter Bento-style lunches. Which is basically a container with 5 or 6 openings filled with different foods that might not actually be related to each other, but are still yummy. Similar to the theory that makes the mass-marketed Lunchables so well-liked by kids. (I prefer not to buy those pre-made lunches). We generally don't really do a lot of lunch meats because I have concerns about the nitrites/nitrates in them. So since I had some spare time tonight, I thought I would read more about this Bento-style lunch that keeps Jen from fighting with her girls about lunch. I came across a site that I thought was really neat - http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/ . While we are not vegans (the lady that runs that site is a vegan), I'm interested in the different ways she's creatively included protein into her child's diet. Her daily pictures of her son's lunchboxes are really cute.

3 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

Peter will eat peanut butter sandwiches every day if Id let him! Tink eats burritos for lunch every day! Kids do indeed get into a rut.

The Little Wife said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Little Wife said...

What a cool little site she has. Great ideas and as always you share the best info. I have been trying to figure out how to entice the kids to eat cauliflower and now I have something to work with.