Let me just say that I am not even going to plug this into my recipe tracker to check the health statistics on it. It's high on the yummy scale, but low on the healthy scale. By the way - I calculated out that a 1 cup serving size of the squash soup (without the 1/2 and 1/2 - was only 2 points).
Potato Soup - from Katie (a former co-worker in 2004)
2 med baked potatoes (baked, peeled, chopped)
1 c. diced onion
2 tsp flour
4 c. chicken stock
2 c. water
1/4 c. corn starch
1 1/2 c. instant mashed potatoes
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp basil
1/8 tsp thyme
1 c. half and half
1. Melt butter in soup pot and saute onion until light brown.
2. Add the flour to onions and stir to make a roux.
3. Add stock, water, cornstarch, instant mashed potatoes and spices to the pot, bring to boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Add flesh from baked potatoes.
6. Add half and half, bring soup back to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Ladle into bowls and enjoy.
*The recipe does not call for garlic, but I added 1 clove of chopped garlic when the onions were browning. I also like to add lots of broccoli and cheese to this soup - the kids love it even more when it is more than one color.