Thursday, December 27, 2007

Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

By popular request - the recipe for one of the soups last night...


APPLE-BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP

1 med. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced coarsely
2 c. apples, peeled, cored and diced (I used two medium sized granny smith apples)
1 c. onion, chopped
3 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. half and half
4 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. flour
1 tbsp. curry powder (I added a bit extra)
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in soup pot. Add squash, onion, apples and curry. Saute for five minutes with frequent stirring. Do not brown. Add flour and mix well. Cook, with constant stirring for two minutes. Add chicken broth and mix well.
Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes with occasional stirring. Puree in food processor and add back to the pot with the half and half. Milk can be substituted. Bring to serving temperature but do not boil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.


*I ate a bowl of the soup before I added the 1/2 and 1/2 and then tasted a little bit after it was added. I liked it better without the 1/2 and 1/2. So when I make it again, I'll save myself the fat and calories and exclude the dairy. The dairy gives it a creamier texture, but significantly cools off the kick from the curry powder, and I like spicier foods, and I'm lactose intolerant.


Enjoy.

2 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

Looks yummy. I guess Ill have to try it!

Becca and Jason said...

YAY!!! Can't wait to make it myself! This stuff was YUMMMMMMY! Now, what about the potato soup recipe??