Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Saturday Night Children's Program

Saturday night we went to a children's program that was taking place while Grandma and Grandpa were at a banquet for Grandpa's work. The program was fun. The clown was really enjoying herself going around making balloon creations for the kids.




After the clown, the science guy was ready to start his show. He did quite a few really cool experiments with the kids.


It got a little wild in there, as there were many kids that just weren't able to control themselves. When Joshua started crying because he wasn't chosen to ride on the hover craft, I decided it was time to go. We are trying to find the right way to deal with the crying from Joshua. We've noticed that it is starting to become manipulative...not just crying because he's disappointed, but crying because he knows that the other grown-ups in the room are going to jump through hoops to ensure that he enjoys himself. I guess Keith and I have an unusual view on that. We feel as though we provide the opportunity to have a great experience and it's up to Joshua to enjoy it. If he's crying or trying to manipulate the situation, then it's time to go. I know it's not the popular train of thought among our peers, and sometimes it makes it really hard to follow through. We follow up with plenty of cuddles and discussions about emotions and that it's okay to feel sad, disappointed, unhappy, angry, etc. Boys are sooo complex.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I think you handled it perfectly. I feel the same way and it drives me crazy when my kids try and manipulate other adults like by crying. The science show looks like a lot of fun. My boys would have loved it!

Anonymous said...

Yea, when my campers cried I was having none of it - especially over silly squabbles. Yay for science!

SoggyToad said...

You have such insight with your kids. Way to go mom & dad. I hope I do the same.

Rachel Holloway said...

boys ARE complex. You handled it well--that's our train of thought too.