Saturday, November 3, 2007

Daniel's 2 year well child check.

Daniel finally had his 2 year old well child check today. Ironically, he decided to wake up last night between 1am and 3am with a snotty nose and raspy cough. He was grumpy, so I decided to let him come sleep with me for a while. Big mistake...he thought it was play time and before I knew it we were sleeping with Mac, Lightning McQueen and a whole bunch of other cars.

Daniel weighs 30 pounds now. And I can't remember how tall he is (darn, why didn't I write it down while I was there?). I know he is almost as tall as Megan. The rest of the appointment was the same old regular stuff. Daniel's snotty nose and grumpiness is just a cold, no ear infections. However, the doctor did mention hearing a slight murmur today and that I shouldn't worry about it because it will go away on it's own.

I'm amazed at how much Daniel has learned in the past year. He's a quiet little guy, just taking in everything around him. We have 4 picture books that are used to teach colors, shapes, numbers and patterns. Each book has 25 pages and there is at least one or two pictures on each page of different things like fireworks, ambulances, and then more specific things like the planets and different types of careers, etc. Daniel can flip through all 4 books and name everything in each of the pictures. He doesn't actually use most of the words in the correct way during the day, but it surprises me to hear him say some of them. He points to the doctor in the scrubs and calls him a 'surgeon'. He points to the group of houses and calls it a 'neighborhood'. Although, twice this past week he really surprised me. On Monday, he walked up to the lady behind the counter at the library and said, "Hello, Librarian." I thought I imagined it, but both Joshua and the librarian both said "wow, did you hear that" at the same time! I was just surprised that Daniel knew to call her the librarian. Soon, he'll have perfected the Dewey Decimal System and will be searching the card catalog on his own, which sadly is all on computer now. There was something magical about the wall with all the drawers and knowing that there was a card for each book in the library. *sigh* It makes me sad to think of the things my kids will never experience first hand. :)

The other thing that Daniel did that really surprised the moms we were sitting with was spelling 'H-A-P-P-Y'. He's gone to the Kids Fit playgroup since before he was born and the song H-A-P-P-Y (similar to BINGO with the taking away of a letter and clapping, for the old school folks like myself) has been sung every week since the program started. So, he's probably heard the song a thousand times before. One of the moms this week got a big kick out of handing Daniel the H-A-P-P-Y cards with all the letters removed and watching him put all the letters on in correct order.

He also knows the name of all of the Thomas trains we have. And his cars from the movie Cars must be loaded onto Mac in a certain way or he will pull them all off Mac and reload the cars. He's a quirky little fellow. Do I think he's any smarter than the average bear....no, not really. Who knows, maybe in a few more months when we are in the throws of temper tantrums, I'll think differently and box him up to send him off to college to make good use of his outstanding memory.

No comments: