Thursday, October 18, 2007

A variety of Kodiak pictures for the folks down south.

Okay, here's a few more pictures of Kodiak for those that have been asking. This is a shot off our back porch last winter in the afternoon as the sun was going down. Another view of the back yard. This time after a big snow storm. The kids love the snow and beg to go out in it. Last year Daniel did not like walking around in the snow, he would play in one spot. I'm hoping he has more fun this year, since it will be his last chance to see snow for a while.

Here's a picture Keith took when out with his mom during a visit a couple of summers ago. I think this is from the top of Pillar Mountain. I'm pretty sure they drove most of the way and then got out to hike around for a bit.

Here is Keith at work. This picture is about 4 years old, so those of you that are family have probably seen it already. Our kids have all flown in one of the C-130s at different times during our stay here. I think Megan holds the record for the most trips up to Anchorage between all the kids. She sees a fabulous eye doctor up there and has had two visits in the hospital in Anchorage. One for 'unblocking' her blocked tear duct and another for a sedated MRI. While I was Daniel's primary food source, he got to accompany Megan and I to Anchorage a couple of times. But next week, it is just a 'girls trip' to see the eye doctor and maybe something fun like the zoo, depending on how cold it is.

Here are a couple of Grandpa and one of his trips out fishing with Keith. It's so nice to be able to enjoy the outdoors in solitude sometimes. Our beaches are definitely not like the beaches in Florida.












Yes, there really are signs to warn about the bears. I forgot how spoiled I got living in an area that you just take your garbage out to the curb for the trashman. I promise to TRY not to complain when the garbage cans are out in the middle of the street once we get back to Florida. I really dislike having to take the garbage out myself. It's actually Keith's job, but when he is away, it becomes my job and I detest it. Not because I don't like garbage, because after over 5 years of diaper changing, I've become desensitized to gross things, but because I am 5ft 4inches and the bear proof dumpsters must have been made for people much taller than me, since I struggle to get the latch open every time, I just don't have the height to get the leverage I need. Keith has been joking that for the next time he is out of town, he's going to get me a milk crate to keep in the van.



Here's one of Keith out on a 4-wheeling trip with a bunch of people he works with.




Our second winter here we saw some incredible Northern Lights. My friend Susan took these pictures, I cannot take credit for her fantastic work. I did capture quite a bit on the video camera but did not manage to take any still pictures. I've seen some Northern Lights since then, but nothing as amazing as that particular night.


These last two are picturse that Keith has taken from up in a C-130. The top picture is a picture of Kodiak. I love how green it gets here in the summertime. The bottom picture is our neighborhood from the air. When you are looking at the lake, our house is between the 1 and 2 o'clock position. We live in a little house with a fenced-in yard on the lake. There are many more homes in the neighborhood now where the empty lots are in the picture.






No comments: